Knowledge and experience counts when it comes to negotiating restricted stock units
Boston MA, April 29, 2015 —Attorney Robert A. Adelson (www.executiveemploymentattorney.com/) is an expert negotiator when it comes to executive compensation. A key component of these negotiations are often restricted stock units, commonly referred to as RSU stock, or simply restricted stock.
RSU stock is a valuable asset for prospective hires who want a piece of the company, as well as venture capitalists trying to hire or retain technical talent, particularly in biotech, medical device and pharmaceutical industries.
“Big talent want’s big money,” said Attorney Adelson, “In startups, however, money is sometimes tough to come by. Venture capitalists know that hiring the right big talent will help them grow and make more money.”
According to Attorney Adelson, by offering restricted stock units, employers can offer prized employees equity value in the company. This helps keep them from moving for greater pay. Likewise, an equity-based signing bonus in the form of restricted stock is a creative way to bring an executive on board without spending huge amounts of cash.
“RSU stock can lower tax costs. Negotiating the vesting of the stock correctly can also go far in helping retain the employee over time,” Attorney Adelson said.
More articles on executive equity compensation:
- Merits of RSUs vs Stock Options and Other Forms of Executive Equity Compensation
- Executive Stock Options, Restricted Shares and Restricted Stock Units – What’s Best for You
- Phantom Stock as Executive Compensation for Family Businesses
- Negotiating a Custom CEO or C-level Executive Compensation Package
- Becoming CEO of a Startup – Key Employment Contract, Equity Terms and Other Considerations
- Achieving Zero Taxation on Sale of Your Startup Equity
- Duty of “Good Faith and Fair Dealing” Ensures Your Executive Compensation is not Taken Away from You
- Don’t Let Misalignment in Executive Compensation Create Your Own “Black Sox Scandal”
- Executive Compensation In A Pre-IPO Company
- Negotiating the Right Executive Compensation Package for Yourself.
My representative cases on executive compensation:
- CSO of Massachusetts biotech company
- Vice President of Sales, Florida telecommunications company
- CTO of North Carolina software company
- more executive employment negotiation cases
About Robert A. Adelson
With more than 30 years of experience as an employment attorney for C-level executives, with clients all across the country, Attorney Robert A. Adelson has helped many executives negotiate strong employment contracts that take on essential provisions such as equity, termination and severance. Email email@example.com or call 617-875-8665 for an initial consultation.